Last Updated on June 18, 2020 by Woody Pet
Can Dogs Eat Mushroom?
It’s a wonderful Saturday morning to exercise and jog. You wear your jogging pants, sweatshirt, earbuds and bring along your dog.
As the two of you make your way through the park, you notice your dog suddenly make a diversion away from the road, as if it has spotted something that has piqued your curiosity.
You followed it in pursuit and as your dog was about to dive in snout first into what seemed to be mushrooms sprouting from the roots of an oak tree, you instinctively yanked your dog out before it has had the chance to eat any of the mushrooms.
And this got you asking: “Can dogs eat mushrooms?”, to which you respond to yourself:
“Of course not, those things are poisonous!”.
To be fair, not all mushrooms are poisonous, and even if that is the case, it is still a good practice to avoid letting your dog eat any mushrooms it finds growing from the roots of an oak tree, especially if you do not know the kinds of mushrooms that are safe for consumption or not.
Say I’d Want To Feed My Dog Mushrooms, What Kinds Can I Give It Or Not Give It?
The first thing that you most certainly do not want to get your dog’s grubby paws and snout on would be wild mushrooms that grow from forests and dead logs.
These kinds are festered with all sorts of bacteria and if your dog happens to have eaten just a nibble, it is most definitely going to be a one-way trip to the veterinary clinic, for sure.
There are a variety of mushrooms that are toxic and non-toxic, and for the sake of you and your dog, it is a good practice to avoid mushrooms altogether so the two of you can be on the safe side of things.
The safe kinds of mushrooms you can feed your dog would be the ones that come from cans.
“But aren’t canned stuff full of preservatives and such?”
Yes, they do. But compared to a death cap, the worst that could happen when your dog ingests large amounts of canned mushroom would be an upset stomach or diarrhea. The worst thing that could happen to your dog if it ate a death cap would be convulsions, muscle stiffness, jaundice and eventually death, if left untreated.
Your safest bet in terms of what kind of mushrooms you can serve your dog would be portobello mushrooms.
Porta-what? What’s Up With That And How Beneficial Is It For My Dog?
That’s Portobello Mushrooms. They are the sort of brownish-white kind of mushrooms that are often found sliced, diced, roasted and mixed along with pizzas, pasta and all sorts of food.
Portobello mushrooms do not contain much nutrients that would make it a must-have for dogs, but if you must know, a serving of the stuff contains nine to ten micrograms of selenium, which is about thirteen percent of the Daily Value, about half a milligram of riboflavin, which is around twenty-four percent of the Daily Value, a third of a milligram’s worth of copper, around seventeen percent of the Daily Value, somewhere between three to four milligrams of niacin, comprising nineteen percent of the Daily Value, four hundred seven milligrams of potassium, which constitutes twelve percent of the Daily Value, one to two milligrams of Pantothenic Acid, which comprises thirteen percent of the Daily Value and an approximately one hundred nine milligrams of phosphorous, which makes up about eleven percent of the Daily Value.
What these values are trying to say is that Portobello mushrooms may contain all kinds of good nutrients, but this is on a per hundred gram serving, which if you were to aggregate the total amount of vitamins that are densely packed per square inch or so, is quite deficient in terms of volume and overall nutritional value.
In short, you would get more nutrients from fifty grams of carrots than a hundred grams of Portobello Mushrooms.
But My Dog Seems To Love Mushrooms For Some Odd Reason – What Can I Do?
Despite what your dog may prefer, it is best to give it the kind of food it needs nutritionally, not the sort of food that it wants and loves, even if that food in question is mushrooms.
As a treat, it is ideal to roast a couple of sliced mushrooms with as little oil or butter as possible. Some canned mushrooms have oil and soup in them, and you can use it to fry or roast along with the mushroom to retain flavor and nutrition.
When incorporating it into your dog’s food, it is advisable to put in as an addition by sprinkling it on top of its usual meal or putting it in a separate bowl if it prefers not to have its food mixed up.
Either way, it is recommended that you give your dog as little mushroom as possible. As mentioned from the previous subtopic, mushrooms do not contain much nutrients, which is understandable since mushrooms are fungi and one of the ways at which they sustain themselves is through eating their own byproducts, thus severely limiting the manners of which they gain and absorb nutrition.
In closing to the query “Can dogs eat mushrooms?”, we have concluded that in some cases, they should not, due to some mushrooms like death caps and amanita mushrooms being highly toxic and deadly for your dog.
To be safe, it is recommended that you do not let your dog eat mushrooms that sprout from tree roots and dead logs, especially if you are not knowledgeable in terms of what kind of mushrooms are toxic or not.
The ideal kind of mushrooms you can feed your pet dog are the sort that come from supermarkets like canned mushrooms.
You can either give these to your dog directly or you can roast or cook them on a pan with as little butter or oil as possible. You can also use the soup that comes along with the canned mushrooms to roast or cook.
And as with any other type of food, feed mushrooms to your dog in moderation.